Waubay, SD

Blue Dog Lake

Blue Dog Lake Blue Dog Lake was named after a Native American who settled at the east side of the lake. He was called Sun-Ka-to-Kienum which interpreted means – “the dog that paints himself blue.” 

Waubay, SD

Early in 1880 the railroad reached Station 50, and the crew founded the town which was first known as Blue Lake. A post office bearing this name opened on Oct. 3, 1881. On Sept. 25, 1885, the name of the Blue Lake post office was changed to Waubay. This action created great confusion since Day County’s first post office, spelled “Wahbay,” opened Nov. 3, 1879. This post office was located six miles northwest of Waubay. The railroad insisted on naming the town Waubay. So from 1881 until the close of the Wahbay post office in 1885, there was great confusion concerning mail. Waubay’s site was platted on Nov. 18,